Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hell does exist

Since the dawn of human consciousness, people have wondered whether heaven and hell actually exist, or if they are merely concepts.

Well, I now have that answer.

There is a hell, and I was in it for 2 ½ hours yesterday afternoon.

I was at work. The system went down. Both networks went down. No one could really do anything on our computers. I could access my hard drive, but couldn't print anything on it. (Why? Because all of our printers are ON THE NETWORK!!!)

And yet, we could not go home.

It did not matter that I only took a 10-minute lunch. I could not leave 50 minutes early to take the rest of it.

I played Free Cell and Spider Solitaire for 2 ½ hours yesterday. I also took a brief field trip to put air in my tires. I spent some time staring at a wall. I spent a bit more time wandering around and talking to people about how much it sucked that we had to stay and discussing what beverages we might order if we just left work and went to the bar.

It was time well spent, I assure you.

Except, not so much.

I thought the hellishness was ended. Things worked for about 30 seconds when I came in this morning, and then everything crashed again. Hooray!

It took the IT guy 2 hours to get my system back up again.

Why did all this happen?

Apparently we used to have a hub with ports to get people on the network. The IT guy and BFH decided we needed “new” and “exciting” and something that WORKS (I didn't know things weren't working), so he installed a switch yesterday morning. It worked for about six hours and then BAM!!! He said this morning that he thinks the switch is bad and we need a new one.
Umm...how about we just leave shit alone?

Every single time he “fixes” something or installs something new, my computer (along with other people's) takes a dump and I'm left with no way to work.

Is it just me, or would it have made sense for them to let us go yesterday afternoon, once they realized it wasn't going to be fixed by 5 PM? I could have gotten just as much work done if I left (i.e. NONE), and morale would have improved a hell of a lot. Instead, we were made to sit here and figure out ways to entertain ourselves until 5 PM.

This probably makes people feel similarly to when we have to work on days when the market is closed. It just makes us hate our jobs and this company that much more. It would have been in the Big Kahuna's best interest to let us go 2 hours early yesterday. But, oh well.

What do I know?

I'm just a peon, and a female one at that. How would I know what I'm talking about?

God, I love my job. Only 276 more days. 276 more days. 276 more days...

No comments: