If Sawyer wants to play, he'll follow Kate around and repeatedly poke her with his nose...on her butt, on her head, on her side. Or he'll keep putting his face about two inches away from hers because he knows it irritates her. Sometimes he'll even poke her with his nose a few times and then turn and run away to try to get her to chase him.
If Kate wants to play, she'll sit on a chair or the couch and smack him with her paw (or paws) whenever he gets close enough for her to do it. She'll also try to fight his tail when he's wagging it, which it seems like he wouldn't really mind, since he chases and fights his tail, too. Or she'll just run up to him, pause for a second to smack him once or twice and then run away.
I find it very amusing that while Sawyer tries to get Kate to play by doing the dog body language for "want to play?," he fights like a cat. Want to see?
Sawyer bowing to Kate

The puppy rearing up to smack at her

The funny part is that when we bring Sawyer to TheMister's parents' house to play with their dog (Sam), Sawyer tries to play with him like Sam's a cat, too.
Another example of them acting like brother and sister?
Yesterday I was in the kitchen washing dishes when I heard the puppy yip! from the dining room. I walked out there to see what was going on and discovered that Callie had just smacked Sawyer for some reason. I checked him over for injuries, but didn't find any. A few seconds after I walked into the room, Callie sort of retreated under the kitty palace. Then Kate came into the room, walked up to Sawyer and touched noses with him briefly, then walked over to Callie. She sat there, giving Callie the evil eye. Once Callie looked sufficiently cowed, Kate just walked away.
It totally reminded me of one of the Sibling Rules which states, I can pick on my brother or sister, but YOU can't!
They can also be sweet to each other. The other day, Sawyer brought in a piece of an icicle as his souvenir and laid down to eat it on the living room carpet. At one point, Kate came into the room, sniffed his ear, and then walked to the other side of him. He just watched her while she sniffed and then licked his icicle, before walking away.
It looked a little something like this:

No comments:
Post a Comment