Thursday, December 18, 2008

Still Very Much A Science Nerd

Did you know that if you place an order with Schwan's and ask to have it delivered, they send your food in a lovely Styrofoam cooler with BLOCKS OF DRY ICE?

No? Neither did I.

Until today.

(Quick chemistry lesson: "Dry ice" is solid carbon dioxide. At standard atmospheric pressure, it sublimates from a solid into a gas, which is what makes the "smoke" or "fog".)

And can anyone guess what you get when you combine two science nerds and dry ice?

I'll give you a moment to think about it...

.

.

.

If you said "you would get those two science nerds filling up various containers with water and putting in small pieces of dry ice to see what happens and then perhaps taking pictures of the resultant 'smoke'", you would be right!

We took 32 pictures today - first just with the glass and bottle with dry ice in them, and then with a black background. We eventually worked up to one of us trying to make cool 'smoke' signals and 'smoke' rings when the photographer counted to three. I'll throw a few of the pictures in here, just to illustrate my point...

It's days like today that make me so incredibly appreciative of the fact that I found my husband. Another man probably would have thought I was insane for spending so much time playing with dry ice and a camera, instead of getting excited and running around with me, thinking of other things we could do with it.

And now, here are some photos:









This shot reminds me of an owl because the swirls toward the top of the 'smoke' look like owl eyes.



This one is pretty much the same as the third picture above, only cropped and tinted a pretty color. This one was edited by TheMister.

No comments: