Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Grrr...angry-making day

Today at work something seriously pissed me off.

Imagine...it's 4:59 PM. You have been working your ass off all day long doing stuff for month-end. You only need to check a couple more account balances for one more client, and then you're done with that particular part of month-end. Your head boss's executive assistant comes in with a file. She asks if you can do a printout (statement of their accounts) for it. You look at the clock and say "Uh, I guess." She says, "[Big Kahuna] is going into a meeting right now, but he wants to see the file as soon as he gets out of it."

She leaves. You sit down and look at the file. On the last printout, the clients had about 5 different accounts. When you print out the new one, you see that they've added all kinds of new things. In fact, there are now two pages full of accounts, there are some accounts that are totally missing, and other things need to be coded slightly differently in order to get them to show up right. It will take at least 1/2 hour of research, changing coding, adding accounts and transactions manually, etc. Basically it's going to be a giant pain in the ass. Then you look at the phone message on the front of the file. The date on it is 3 FREAKING DAYS AGO.

Alas, you have an appointment at 5:15 PM. You do what you can with what you have until 5:11 PM, then leave it for your boss with a post-it that says "It's as right as it's going to be. I have an appointment in 4 minutes." before you drive like a crazy woman to your appointment.

This is how it works at my job. The boys sit on something for anywhere between a day and a few weeks and then when they decide they want it, all of a sudden it's a HUGE emergency so you have to bust your ass to get it done. I have had someone sit on something for two weeks and then claim he "found it in his office" right before he asked me (at 4:45 PM) to come in at 6:30 in the freaking morning the next day to get it done for a 10 AM appointment.

This is how it works. Day in and day out, for five years now.

God, no wonder I'm so stressed and frustrated. No wonder my blood pressure rises 30 points when I just walk in to work. (Literally. My normal blood pressure, when checked by a doctor is 102/78. Every. time. When I go to the doctor from work, either during the day or after it, my blood pressure is 130/80.) My job is not good for me. Thank God I won't have to put up with this crap after September 1st...if all goes according to plan, that is.

So, would you be frustrated and upset about what happened today? Or am I just being too sensitive and not flexible enough?

No comments: