Tuesday, September 25, 2007

School-related stuff*

School has been in session for a few weeks now, so I thought I'd write a little something about it.

I have three classes this semester: Organismal Biology, Holistic Health and Introduction to Logic.

Organismal Biology seems like it'll be informative and interesting. I'm a tiny bit worried that I'll need to study harder than most people, since I actually took the prerequisite class (Cellular Biology) in...um...Jesus...January of 2002. My teacher seems pretty cool - he likes to bring in interesting news stories to talk about at the beginning of every class and play a variety of music during our labs. I'm quite a news hound myself and love all types of music, so I think we'll get along pretty well. The main thing I'm worried about is the fact that all the exams are ESSAY. I've been a pretty good bull-shitter on tests in the past, so hopefully that will help me fill in anything I don't actually remember. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks, when we have our first test.

Holistic Health seems like it'll be a relatively easy 4.0. The material interests me, my teacher is incredibly nice and we have enough ways to earn points in there that I should have no problems getting my 4.0. I get to do a research presentation on hypnosis, which should be really interesting. It's something I've always wanted to learn more about, but haven't put the time in to research it on my own, so this will be a good opportunity.

Introduction to Logic portrays itself as a Philosophy class (PHI 203), but as soon as I bought the textbook and looked inside it, I was like "What the hell!? This is very math-y! There are EQUATIONS and the word 'calculus' appears in the front cover helpful information!" Hopefully keeping up with the homework and not missing any lectures will help me to not get behind, which always helps when tests come up.

All in all, this semester should not be too bad!

Fun fact I learned yesterday in my organismal biology lab: Dead bees stink. A lot. It's not really a smell you can describe. They have a stink that is entirely their own. Once you smell it, it's hard to get that scent out of your nose.

While doing my homework for Intro to Logic, these are the two questions I liked the best and the instructions for their respective sections of the exercise:

1. (Instructions: The following arguments are inductive. Determine whether each is strong or weak, and note the relationship between your answer and the truth or falsity of the premise(s) and conclusion. Then determine whether each argument is cogent or uncogent.) When Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, he left behind a gold plated Schwinn bicycle, which he used to ride around on the moon's surface. Probably that bicycle is still up there on the moon.

2. (Instructions: Determine whether the following arguments are inductive or deductive. If an argument is inductive, determine whether it is strong or weak. If it is deductive, determine whether it is valid or invalid.) After taking LSD, Alice said she saw a flying saucer land in the shopping center parking lot. Since Alice has a reputation for always telling the truth, we must conclude that a flying saucer really did land there.

No comments: